Pages

Friday 28 December 2012

American Opinion on Guns

The shootings in Newton, Connecticut have raised again the issue of gun control in the United States. I have grown somewhat tired of hashing this out in various on-line forums, so I am not going to restate what I have already said.  Instead, I am going to share a link to another blog.  Written by Arkansas woodworker and educator Doug Stowe, "Wisdom of the Hands" focuses on the importance of learning by doing, by working with your hands.  Mr. Stowe has written about the tragedy in Newton through this lens.  I encourage you to read both his blog and the published comments of his recent posts to get a flavour for the differing views of this debate.

I would also encourage you to read his pre-Newton posts - a really thought provoking commentary on the the direction of education (and work) in North America in the 20th century.

No comments:

Post a Comment