Pages

Wednesday 26 June 2013

Corey Crawford

I grew up in the small town of Chateauguay, Quebec, just south of Montreal.  Not much happens in my sleepy hometown so when something of note does occur, I figure why not publicize it a bit?

Two days ago, on June 24, the NHL's Chicago Blackhawks won the Stanley Cup in rather dramatic fashion.  What does this have to do with Chateauguay?  Well, the Blackhawks' starting goalie, Corey Crawford, hails from our little South Shore community.  He is 28 years-old, which is too young for me to know him, though I have met his uncle many times over the years as he is a friend of my older brother (I know I'm being pathetic in trying to benefit from the very dim bit of reflected glory this tenuous connection may afford me, but I am nothing if not superficial).


To the best of my knowledge, the young Mr. Crawford is the first Chateauguay resident to hoist the Cup and for that, all of Chateauguay and its sizeable diaspora are very proud.  The Stanley Cup gets passed around from player to player during the course of the summer, and tradition has each player returning to their hometown for some public events with the Cup.  This recognizes the place where dreams of NHL greatness start and where at least the early development and support of the player began and so I hope Corey makes a trip to his hometown.

Many congratulations to Corey and his family.


480x350
 
 
The Cup Starts Here

No comments:

Post a Comment